Saturday, April 14, 2012

Time & God

It's been nearly a year since I have entered a post.  Amazing how time just keeps moving on, yet in my daily routines, life seems to putter along without the awareness of how fast time has moved on.  Time is a strange concept....sometimes it appears to move fast all the while in my mind, it is just slowly going on.  I imagine it is just my awareness or lack of,  that judges time; yet when reality reveals itself, time at times seems very surreal. 

Since my last post we have had an interesting year full of all sorts of different activities and events. However, what is most important to reflect on is God and what He has been doing in my life this year. 

My role as a mom to my 2 sons has changed over time since they have become adults.  Once needing me for their basic needs...food, shelter, love, nurturing, time spent with them, teaching, discipline....they no longer do.  It is different now and quite frankly, I'm not sure what that means...how I am to be...who I am to be with them.  All that I was before to them is no longer needed.  It has been challenging indeed. I am having to learn "to let go." In this place, I have prayed and prayed for God's will and to help me...guide me to be the mom to adult sons that He has purposed for me to be.  In fixing my eyes on Him, I can rest.  This last year I came across a book called Barbara and Susan's Guide to the Empty Nest and led this study with a group of women in various seasons of life.  I found I was not alone in this place and throughout the book there were tips for us and Godly principles to apply to our lives.  Most of all, it encourged us to daily focus on the character of God.  I am continually learning from experiences,events and resources that if I keep my focus...my eyes...my mind and heart on God, that the peace of God will be a part of me and a part of my life. 

Moving on in this different role, my sons have their own lives now...both married and learning to be husbands and for one son at this time, learning the role of being a father.  I am proud of him watching how he is fathering his little daughter with love, discipline, and gentleness, wit, teaching, & provider.  He's doing very well in that role.  My other son is just recently married and is learning to be good husband and is heading towards some new adventures in his life that will be revealed later. 

Now, in this different season of life, after praying for God's will and guidance, He has shown me different ways of serving Him.  With my eyes on Him, there is Hope and Purpose.  In keeping my LCDC counseling license active, I have been called to be the  counselor for the Wenholz Recovery House for Women on a voluntary basis.  This has been a wonderful ministry to be involved in as I see women who come into the house broken and in poverty emotionally, mentally, physically, financially, and spiritually become transformed from the inside out as they start to learn about what God has done for them through Jesus and as a result, they start to gain new lives and healing.  God is awesome! 

Another exciting event God has brought forth is The Art Of Marriage Event and our pastor was very willing to let us host this event in our church.  It was a complete success.  There were 24 couples that attended and as a result, many marriages were transformed from this series as they listened to God's biblical principles and how to apply them to their lives. 

Our church has also started accountability groups this year...women groups and men groups.  The women have been going through a Proverbs study and have learned some valuable Godly principles and we have become closer to each other as we have shared our lives and hearts together.  I am one of the leaders and have been so honored to be a part of this group of sweet women who have been willing to be open and authentic and very consistent in doing their study.  Having learned so much from them, I am very grateful. 

These are some of the highlights of the year among others and in that being said, I am grateful to God for showing me what my purpose is in this season of life.  I am to keep my eyes on Him and in that place the God of Peace lives in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment